Kang, Alice. 2015. Bargaining for Women's Rights: Activism in an Aspiring Muslim Democracy. University of Minnesota Press.
Reviewed in African Studies Review, Canadian Journal of Political Science, International Feminist Journal of Politics, Journal of Modern African Studies, Journal of Women, Politics, and Policy, Mobilization: An International Quarterly, Perspectives on Politics, "Highly Recommended" by CHOICE
- Escobar-Lemmon, Valerie Hoekstra, Alice J. Kang, and Miki Kittilson. "Breaking the Judicial Glass Ceiling: The Appointment of Women to High Courts Worldwide." Forthcoming at Journal of Politics.
- Kang, Alice J. and Nam Kyu Kim. 2020. "External Territorial Threats and Women's Legislative Representation." Democratization 27 (2): 340-58.
- Medie, Peace A. and Alice J. Kang. 2018. "Power, Knowledge, and the Politics of Gender in the Global South." European Journal of Politics & Gender 1 (1-2): 37-53.
- Kang, Alice J. and Aili Mari Tripp. 2018. "Coalitions Matter: Citizenship, Women, and Quota Adoption in Africa." Perspectives on Politics 16 (1): 73-91
- Escobar-Lemmon, Maria, Valerie Hoekstra, Alice Kang, and Miki Kittilson. 2016. "Just the Facts? Media Coverage of Female and Male High Court Appointees in Five Democracies." Politics & Gender 12 (2): 254-74.
- Dawuni, Josephine and Alice Kang. 2015. "Her Ladyship Chief Justice: The Rise of Female Leaders in the Judiciary in Africa." Africa Today 62 (5): 45-69.
- Kang, Alice. 2013. "The Effect of Gender Quota Laws on the Election of Women: Lessons from Niger." Women's Studies International Forum 41 (2): 94-102.
- Kang, Alice. 2009. "Studying Oil, Islam, and Women as if Political Institutions Mattered." Politics & Gender 5 (4): 560-68.
- Tripp, Aili Mari and Alice Kang. 2008. "The Global Impact of Quotas: On the Fast Track to Increased Female Legislative Representation." Comparative Political Studies 41 (3): 338-61.
- Adams, Melinda and Alice Kang. 2007. "Regional Advocacy Networks and the African Union Protocol on the Rights of Women." Politics & Gender 3 (3): 451-74.
- Kang, Alice. 2020. "Women in Associations and Organizations." Oxford Research Encyclopedia of African History. Oxford University Press.
- DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190277734.013.490
- [Contact me for a copy or preprint.]
- Escobar-Lemmon, Maria, Valerie Hoekstra, Alice J. Kang, and Miki Kittilson. 2019. "Appointing Women to High Courts." In Research Handbook on Law and Courts, edited by Susan Sterett and Lee Demetrius Walker. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing, 200-212.
- [A version to be posted here]
- Kang, Alice. 2019. “Women’s Political Representation in Niger.” In The Palgrave Handbook of Women’s Political Rights, edited by Susan Franceschet, Mona Lena Krook, and Netina Tan. Palgrave.
- Kang, Alice. 2016. "Benin: Women Judges Promoting Women's Rights." In Gender and the Judiciary in Africa: From Obscurity to Parity?, edited by Gretchen Bauer and Josephine Dawuni. New York: Routledge
- Kang, Alice. 2014. "How Civil Society Represents Women: Feminists, Catholics, and Mobilization Strategies in Africa." In Representation: The Case of Women, edited by Maria Escobar-Lemmon and Michelle Taylor-Robinson. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 137-57.